Sunday, September 06, 2020

Laggan Round 30-31 August 2020

 63 miles, 6700m ascent, 33 hours


2020 has proved to be a bumper year for long distance hill running with almost every major record seemingly broken.  In my own small way I've had a bit of a bumper year too, albeit in a different way.  I might be incapable of running at a decent pace, but I still enjoy exploring and putting long routes together.  August Bank Holiday was the last real opportunity to do so and I made the most of it with the third of my long rounds in the space of 6 weeks.  

It was all Donnie Campbell’s fault.  I’d been following his tracker on his clinical demolishing of the Munros inside 33 days, when I happened to spot a line on the map that I’d not observed before.  One of Donnie’s unfeasibly long days was a traverse of the hills South of Loch Laggan from the Eastern Munros of the Ramsay Round to Ben Alder and Creag Pitridh.  Donnie finished his day there before continuing over Creag Meagaidh and the Monaliath the next day, but I couldn’t help noticing the potential for an attractive circuit of the Loch, concluding with the Creag Meagaidh hills.  The distance worked out at a pleasingly round 100km, cementing the thought.  Download full article.

OS Map 

Photos


 


No comments: