Saturday, April 01, 2017

Strathfarrar Watershed, 27 February - 1 March 2017

A remote and committing round of the complete watershed of Strathfarrar in deep snow - 99 km, 7600m ascent, 50 hours 


The Strathfarrar Watershed

I love maps. My wife, Alison, will tell you that they are a staple of my bedtime reading, a doorway to new adventures that begin in the mind and some of which end in the reality of epic days and nights.  The Strathfarrar Watershed was borne of such bedtime perusing, nurtured over a few years but never realised until time, opportunity and motivation finally came together in February 2017.So it is that I found myself contemplating the first long winter journey for some time on a fair, breezy morning at the lowest reaches of one of Scotland’s longest glens.  I have the unaccustomed pleasure of my friend Tomas to send me on my way, but then I am on my own for the lonely miles to one of the most remote places in Britain, as I trace the watershed of Strathfarrar.   Read more




Photos
Article
GPX File
OS Map

1 comment:

fell running guide said...

Good stuff John.
I'd be interested in the kit you used for this. Getting the balance between not carrying too much weight and not freezing to death!
Dave