Saturday, October 18, 2008

Cumbrian Traverse

33 miles, 11,500 feet, 9 hours 19 mins, solo unsupported

On the way up to Crinkle Crags on a much nicer day
As its name suggests, this route traverses the Cumbrian mountains from Broughton Mills to Keswick.  Its a very pleasant, varied route, whose main difficulty lies in arranging transport.  I elected to leave my car at Broughton Mills and to get the bus back from Keswick, picking up the car the following day.  I say the route is pleasant, but the day which I had chosen was not.  On a dark morning in October with rain lashing the car windows, it wasn't a pleasant prospect at all.  The weather didn't improve until coming off Green gable, which meant several hours of gale force winds, driving rain and an absence of views.  I struggled to keep on my feet on Swirl How and was quickly wet.  Nevertheless, it made an enjoyable outing (in a perverse sort of a way) and the view over Derwentwater was all that more special as I ran off Maiden Moor.

Details (Go Far web site)

No comments: